I hope that those of you who were on our Monday morning safety call remember and have been reflecting on the question that I posed: How will we set ourselves up for success this week?
As always, let’s learn from the past but not dwell upon it. Let’s spend less time talking about what happened during incidents and more time on understanding why. Specifically, why do incidents occur? Let’s face this head-on, in a proactive manner.
Importantly, let’s focus on the team members who have the greatest influence on our safety results: our General Foremen. And let’s ask ourselves even more questions:
- Are we supporting our General Foremen in positive ways?
- Are we emotionally engaged with them?
- Are they using their strengths daily?
- Are they clear on what our expectations are?
- Do they feel a personal connection with leadership and our goals?
- Have we challenged them with our goal of ZERO lost-time incidents?
It’s going to take great people to accomplish an amazing goal like ZERO lost-time incidents and ZERO OSHA recordables in the utility line clearance industry. Let’s challenge our great people with meeting our goal of ZERO and a) support them, b) educate and invest in them, c) encourage them and d) acknowledge their great results. I believe we have just the team to do it.
Congratulations on working ten days without an OSHA recordable or lost-time incident to start our 2018 year. If we can do ten, let’s be confident that we can repeat it again today and every day!